YOU CAN NOT REFORM A BROKEN UNIVERSITY. Create new good ones and the students would empty leave the bad ones. NEVER, try to reform a bad university.
By Mawuna Koutonin
All countries, without exception, which have successfully transitioned from massive poverty to relative welfare, had gone through the following 12 checkpoints:
1. The Number of engineers should double every 10 years. This should be the priority: train good engineers in mass.
2. Mathematics, physics, and chemistry should form the core of education. In fact calculus is the shortest path to science and engineering.
3. The role of university is to create new knowledge, not teaching. Its reputation goes by the numbers of Nobel prize and patents. (A university without a single patent, or world class discovery/
innovation should be closed). Side note: YOU CAN NOT REFORM A BROKEN UNIVERSITY. Create new good ones and the students would empty leave the bad ones. NEVER, try to reform a bad university.
4. Teaching the basics is the role of primary and secondary school. The basics are spelling, drawing, calculus, sensing, balance and ethics.
Everything else comes second or optional.
5. Engineering should become the main occupation of the male population of the given country. All countries transitioning to high output economy got to that point were a majority of their male population were engineers and craftsmen. No exception.
6 The most fast growing new public buildings should be schools, which should also double in number every 10 years for at least 30 years.
7. The only soft skill investment during the takeoff period is in productivity improvement or high efficiency. Productivity should be top on the management dashboard. Good management schools should be erected by the state. Management is the science of productivity.
8. The most simple way to accelerate the process is to focus on export. Export induces a huge virtuous circle.
9. Protectionism and heavy state involvement or hand holding are indispensable, at the early stage.
10. Adopting the concept of state as work of science helps minimize social conflicts and the cultural change.
11. I I dictators are the best leaders of such transitions.
12. Domestic savings are the sources of investment into infrastructure and social progress, NOT foreign investment which should be restricted.
If your country government is not focusing on none of those things, then they are just kidding you and themselves, holding to the illusions sold to them by the IMF.